Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pecans anyone?


I found two small just germinating, still partly seeded pecan trees in our front garden yesterday. I say garden very loosely, as the dandelions and canna lilies and fire ants, plus one nasty looking fungus, had overtaken it and I had to remove so much yesterday! We had one type of bush (forgive me, names are a no-go this morning) that didn't survive the cold snaps at all... I pulled up 5 of them yesterday... Then there is another very odd tree growing in multiple places throughout... It stems straight up and the leaves are coming directly off the trunk, but they are still very small. I need to look them up and see if they are transplantable... I love trees, but not right next to the house...

Back to the pecans: I read this article about them this morning and in one sentence it said to bring them inside during the first cold snaps that they are alive and then to take them back out during the first summer and then in the very next sentence it said pecan trees dont do well transplanted... Well, what they hoo-hoo? Now what...

Can anyone translate for me when it says one or two inches of rain a week, how does that translate into "water hose watering in a pot"?? hahaha Well, I sincerely hope they don't die because I would love some pecans, and I would love some pretty shade trees, but I don't know the first thing about pecan trees!!! hahaha... It's gonna be a long first year for them... The article said their name is Native American for "nuts you have to crack with a rock"... hehehe. Me-ma had a couple of pecan trees. I hated stepping on them, but they were so good to gather and eat!!

The article also said they are "survivors"... Well, I guess we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment